Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Gopal - I

Gopal- A photographer in Rohtak went on a binge drinking spree and landed up in a coma with left sided hemiparesis. His multiple seizures were difficult to control and a CT Scan revealed multiple hemorrhagic infarcts as well as blood in the Sulci. This combination of a Cerebral Venous Thrombosis with a Sub-arachnoid Infarction has been reported rarely. However, his main problem was not this condition which was easily identified by my SR and treatment started soon enough. He had a festering bedsore in his back which was gnawing into his muscles for the lack of proper Nursing care which is at its apathetic least in India. A combination of Sumag, Betadine, and Listerine and some really harsh words from my side stopped his mother from pouring water into the throat of his bed ridden son who was aspirating every drop.

His survival was possible also for his grit which he demonstrated in abundance even then, when I always asked him to lift his bad hand with his good, and took his BP in the paralysed hand....

I am glad I was a part of this survival story. Promila, I could not save, for several reasons. I was lacking the knowledge of patient anagement and like most colleges in India, Rohtak has no accountability, the whole ward being left to first years, who manage it with their limited skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment