Thursday, September 2, 2010

EMERGENCY

Another 45 admission day...misdiagonses, missed diagnoses, unknowns and the pangaas with Neurosurgery and Surgery dudes. But what I am about to write is that it was good to sleep in the ward again. I rather liked the 24 hour shift the ward handler has. Cannot say because I have always had a problem falling asleep and today was an official holiday so the Rheumatology clinic was closed. Otherwise things are bound to become very hectic for someone in our place. And as for the guy doing the night, without the intern, things will become dicey...

Fever is the most difficult to treat. Its easy if you know what you are handling. With temperatures at 104 you just cant write a treatment and ask the patient to come after 7 days. Its not like a fibroid you know lying in your pelvis silently, its not a burning micturition you are not aware of unless you visit the loo, fever and dyspnea are perhaps the most unnerving of all clinical symptoms. The insipid taste to the tongue that goes on until you have cured yourself off it, it ruins your life, spoils your mood and downs the examination results.

Hate the weather. Am longing for the winter to set in, that crisp way the air begins to break..Hope it will be soon now. Am still on with the other idea of posting things freely available on the internet; but as of now, one thing at a time. First, a new laptop and a short break. I am losing my edge and I need to be by myself for some time without having 50 people conversing in my head.

Yesterday, at 5 am I had to console an attendant whose father was admitted as meningitis but one my work up turned out to be a huge frontal lobe infarct...Was feeling like shit at that time, pulverised from morning Emergency, afternoon journal club evening round and post round emergency dash...but it was exactly that hurt in the son's eyes that took all the physical thing away. And here I am. Need a thorough spring cleaning of my room before I go to Delhi. Will be back, and start my thesis work.

Will write more. There are things I have been piling on.

No comments:

Post a Comment