Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Nerd...Who me ???

This is an oft repeated tendency I begin to observe in myself over quite some time now. An inability to mix and mingle into the general conversation, disinterest in other putative areas of interest and more than that, utter disregard to what other people might think about me behaving this way. The other day, I squirmed and made my way out of a gathering congregation about bangles and sarees to wear on a marriage party. I tried, I tried not to be rude and endure that piece of ...or whatever it was that was being discussed at the breakfast table on a good wintry sunday morning. But I couldn't. And I finally got up and got out.

Its not been the first time that this is happening. At least at home I was given the liberty to stay shut in my room. Because I would address someone s uncle at the beginning of the party and say goodbye as brother. My mother's and father's friends have never been a subject of enduring memory for me. While I do remember the lift of an eyebrow or an oddity that stands out in a vague paragraph mentioned at the end of the chapter in some textbook, or the way the lilt of the bagpipes carries on in the background of some celtic music, I fail drastically in the semingly mundane, but essential things that make up life.

Am I getting prematurely senile? My 'absentmindedness' could be the telltale signs of a fast approaching presenile dementia ? The 'nerdiness' a manifestation of the most innermost fears that shaped me into the oddball of information and efficiency that I am ?

I cannot say for sure. But I hope, I seriously hope, routine, 'normal' things in life assume more importance in my mind than they currently are. I am missing out on things, I think. A lot of them. And the worst thing next to missing them out could probably be being unaware of the things I am missing out on.

2 comments:

  1. "Because I would address someone as uncle at the beginning of the party and say goodbye as brother".....hehehe.....
    but then who defines whats normal...let us just drift through...love your write-ups..unclogs my head:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..guess doctors attain their emotion-o-social milestones really late,hopefully. Well the fact that their still is some contact with reality is itself quite pacifying..

    ReplyDelete