Tuesday, June 1, 2010

To Feel

I have never been able to decide if its a good thing or a bad thing to get passionate about people, or the patients I treat. Sometimes, they catch my fancy. But its usually the nitty gritty things about them, like brushing their teeth, or getting a posture change. I usually don't bother them too much about the diagnosis. Most of the times I am to be found catching a CT Scan and explaining it to people. I feel that its good if someway we tell the people what their condition is all about. And trust me, each time you tell, you will notice a difference. The attendants grow far more conscientious, the adherence to treatment shoots up. And doctors should never make the mistake of undermining a parent's education in this country. I have seen absolutely illiterate people turn around and care for their own with a vigour that is unmatched by some of the most literate people in the hospital.

Health is not just about curing a disease. Its about bringing about a change in life, its about perceiving that something is wrong and that people desperately want to be heard, no matter how hard they try to stay away. Sometimes you manage it with people. Sometimes you fail. But if you look a little deep you will find its not so difficult to connect. Especially for people who do not live up with pretences.

I am not going to fail. Search for happiness has been a tough battle but I am generally optimistic. I tend to swim over the situation. I will tell you how it works out. And its true. I still cannot contain the blessings. But I feel happy about it now. There is no baggage of secrets or misgivings associated with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment